This week we will review the basic concepts of essay writing. Additionally, we will dive deeper into essay writing by looking critically at essays and using other writers' work to inspire us to write stronger essays! In our Grammar and Conventions study this week and next, we will talk about how to use transitions properly to help us create a cohesive flow in our pieces.
This week we are thrilled to publish and celebrate our Thankful Essays! Your little writer will have the opportunity to read his or her paper aloud "news reporter-style" while a friend films him or her reading. This Friday, we will play all of the videos and enjoy each of the essays! Throughout the week, we will review class-specific skills that still need some work.
This week we are reviewing how to write personal essays. The students will revisit how to generate ideas, plan and craft an essay for a specific prompt. In fourth grade, we use the "Boxes and Bullets" format to plan:
Topic or Thesis Statement
This week we will explore strategies to help our writers find success on revising and editing passages. Here are the strategies that we use in fourth grade:
1. Read the passage completely for understanding.
2. Read the passage again with your pencil in your hand. Make changes and corrections as needed.
3. Read the passage again if you feel it is necessary.
4. Read each question and go find the sentence(s) the question is about. Underline the sentence(s).
5. Read each answer choice and "try" that suggestion in the underlined sentence(s). Put a check by the best answer choice.
6. Choose and mark the best answer choice for the question.